Saturday, May 31, 2008

We the people

I observe people quite a bit - now with no TV and a lil' more time in hand - I have started observing even more! And what I see of our people gives me the jitters.

I have grown up in a generation that was called the Gen X - youngsters - brash, yet with roots in Indian culture, etc. etc. But what I see of my generation now saddens me. And it is not thee brash, aggressive nature that worries me - it is the Indian culture! We have unfortunately imbibed many things that are not something we would be proud of!

Take for instance, breaking traffic rules - aren't they meant for our safety? Helmets have been made compulsory in most Indian cities, yet most of us will not wear them - the reason most often quoted being that in a hot country like ours, the helmet is a burden. Yeah right, the burden of being headless is better! The way people drive on Indian roads - with scant respect for traffic signals is well known. Somehow, I find this a much major problem in Chennai than I have seen in Mumbai. People have scant respect is not the word - they do not see traffic signals - if there is no one passing by - anyone can just drive past! The less said about the rickshaw drivers, the better. Sometimes I just wish I can stop and slap a few of these idiots! They are a danger to society.

I see many spitting on the roads - defacing walls - and the whole gamut of things! I used to think it is just other people who do it - we always hated such things - when we are grown up, we would do such things! I think I am wrong - every one thinks the same about his/ her generation. Have we lost our way again???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home